Maynard wrote investment articles for The Motley Fool UK between 1999 and 2014. At the start of 2015, aged 43, he became a full-time private investor. As well as the articles he writes for ShareScope, Maynard also writes his own quality investment blog at maynardpaton.com
I’ve developed my investing approach after years of learning about the stock market and experiencing what actually works for me. Important influences on my style include the strategies of Warren Buffett, Peter Lynch, Jim Slater and Nick Train. Simply put, I look to invest in respectable companies trading at modest valuations and to hold them for the long term.
- Screening For My Next Long-Term Winner: Zytronic 9th November 2018 - Let me start with a confession: 2018 is fast becoming a year to forget for my portfolio. Suffice to say, my shares have suffered a further drubbing… and my annual return is now firmly entrenched in negative territory. I have ...more
- Screening For My Next Long-Term Winner: PayPoint 23rd October 2018 - I don’t know about your shares, but my portfolio was thumped during this month’s market sell-off. The drubbing prompted me to consider whether I should remain invested in my racy growth stocks and contrarian recovery plays — or seek out ...more
- Screening For My Next Long-Term Winner: Character 8th October 2018 - My SharePad screening for buying opportunities has short-listed Character (LSE: CCT) as a possible longer-term investment. The attraction here is a quite extraordinary story about buybacks. You see, since 2006, this small-cap has bought back shares every year to reduce ...more
- Screening For My Next Long-Term Winner: CMC Markets 11th September 2018 - In this article I continue my hunt for shares that could deliver market-beating returns… …and this time my SharePad system has identified CMC Markets (LSE: CMCX) as a potential longer-term investment. CMC is a high-margin, cash-rich and owner-run business that ...more
- Screening for my next long-term winner: Ramsdens 31st August 2018 - I am always hunting for great shares that could power ahead of the market during the years to come… …and just few days ago, my SharePad set-up pinpointed Ramsdens (LSE: RFX) as a contender for my long-term portfolio. Ramsdens is ...more