David Stevenson is an investment columnist for the Financial Times (the Adventurous Investor), Citywire and MoneyWeek. He’s also the author of the Adventurous Investor blog – www.adventurousinvestor.com – and is executive editor of ETF Stream – www.etfstream.com – and fintech news service AltFi – www.altfi.com.
I believe in keeping investing simple and I think that investment trusts are an ideal structure for private investors. Whatever your investment goal, be it long term capital growth, or income or even defensive strategies, there is likely to be an investment trust that will work for you over the long term. The key is picking the right trust or fund and the London market has a huge range. Having watched this sector – and invested in it – for over 20 years I think i have developed a fairly in depth understanding of which funds work, and why. My articles on investment trusts will hopefully help guide private investors in the right direction.
- Dynamic 35: Witan Investment Trust 1st July 2020 - Witan – a long term buy and hold globalist fund with a value bias Investing should really be about simplicity. Take global investing. Nearly every investor should have some exposure to a globally diversified mix of developed world stock markets.… ...more
- Prudent 15: The SDCL Energy Efficiency Income Trust 12th June 2020 - The SDCL Energy Efficiency Income Trust The idea of investing in a fund which will help facilitate the transition towards a more sustainable energy mix has spawned a small army of London listed closed end funds and investment trusts. At… ...more
- Dynamic 35: Hg Capital 27th May 2020 - A smarter way of buying into the right kind of private growth businesses It is an unfortunate truth that more and more high growth businesses are choosing to stay private and ignore the public markets. Collectively we investors, institutional and… ...more
- Dynamic 35: Edinburgh Worldwide 12th May 2020 - Edinburgh Worldwide – a great long-term home for growth investors Investors in funds such as Scottish Mortgage will have noticed a very peculiar phenomenon over the last few turbulent weeks. On paper many of the growth-oriented businesses sitting in its… ...more
- Prudent 15: Ruffer Investment Company 22nd April 2020 - The Ruffer Investment Company – big bets on a global new normal "There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen" Lenin Generally, I have a very dismissive attitude towards the idea of absolute returns funds.… ...more
- Dynamic 35: Augmentum 3rd April 2020 - A big bet on Fintech worth taking at this price - Augmentum OK, I’m not going to beat around the bush. l readily concede that now is not a great time, all things considered, to be talking about investing in… ...more
- Prudent 15: BH Global 20th March 2020 - Kicking off with BH Global (BHGG) You can always read more about my views on funds at my blog www.adventurousinvestor.com. I update this most days, especially useful during these volatile times when new investment opportunities emerge very quickly. I’m not… ...more
- Dynamic 35: Syncona 3rd March 2020 - The genomics revolution and the appeal of Syncona It’s easy to get carried away with the short to medium term noise coming out of stock markets. The corona virus has sent investors in the developed world heading for the exit.… ...more
- Dynamic 35: Scottish Mortgage 18th February 2020 - I must say I’m very excited to be writing for SharePad and ShareScope. I’ve been an avid user of both for more than 10 years and I know that both products are widely used by smart investors who want to… ...more