Richard is a highly-respected investment writer well-known for his Share Sleuth column in Money Observer. He also writes regularly for MoneyWeek amongst other publications. Richard eats his own cooking – buying good companies at reasonable prices in his Self Invested Personal Pension and holding them for the long-term.
I’m a long-time ShareScope and SharePad fan and my aim is to help you find better companies faster using the fantastic tools at your disposal. My focus is on finding businesses we can reasonably expect to prosper for many years. As well as analysing data, I work out the strategies companies are following and try to verify that they are working in the real world by quizzing executives, visiting companies, trying their products and observing how they operate.
- AGMs – If in doubt, ask 23rd April 2018 - Most companies will answer questions from shareholders and potential shareholders. At Annual General Meetings shareholders have a right to ask questions and get answers. A large proportion of listed companies report full-year results in late winter and spring because their ...more
- Putting performance in perspective 9th April 2018 - To get a grip on where a company is going you have to understand where it has come from. Fortunately, that doesn’t mean reading every annual report. Usually, it’s not enough to read the latest annual report. To understand a ...more
- Working out what could go wrong with a share 26th March 2018 - Investors pin their hopes on what could go right. The great product. The winning strategy. The growing market. The new technology. These may be good reasons to own a share, but only if you have also considered what could go ...more
- Decrypting a company’s business model and strategy 13th March 2018 - While it’s comforting to know a business has enjoyed success, long-term investors must also form an opinion on its prospects if we’re to hold the shares through thick and thin. In How to read an annual report, I identified the ...more
- How to read an annual report 27th February 2018 - Rule number one in long-term investing is to understand how the businesses you expect to profit from will make money - otherwise, how can you be confident they will? Annual reports are the most complete source of public information on ...more
- The Terry Smith algorithm 14th February 2018 - In this article I’ve attempted to find Fundsmith-like companies using SharePad. The results are mixed but there’s a lot to be learned from the experiment. A letter from Terry If like me you hold units in Fundsmith, last month you ...more